Explore Hands-On Labs' student resource center for important information regarding ordering, shipping, return and refund policies, safety, and how to get started.
How to Order
Your instructor will provide a custom ordering link where you can purchase your course's lab kit before your class start date. For further ordering clarification please reference the Student Quickstart Guide or contact customer service by submitting a ticket.
- All kits are put into queue upon receipt of the order.
- If you choose ‘Standard Processing’ your kit will ship out within 3 business days from the day after you place your order.
- Expedited shipping, such as “Next Day Air, 2nd Day Air, and 3-Day Select,” are available for an additional fee.
- Our shipping options do not include weekends or national holidays.
Note: All orders may take up to 3 business days to process. The selected shipping method applies to the date the item is shipped from our warehouse AFTER processing.
You will receive an email notification confirmation when your order is received and sent for processing.
We take many steps to ensure your order is accurate and packaged to avoid breakage. However, please open your kit immediately upon receipt, review the content list, and inspect your order. Report any missing or damaged items immediately via email to email@example.com or call 866-206-0773 during our normal business hours.
Click here to read our User Agreement.
Contact your bookstore or financial aid office to purchase a lab kit using financial aid.
SHIPPING & DELIVERY INFO
Orders for in-stock items are processed and shipped within 3 business days.
Shipping and Delivery
- Orders ship from Yulee, Florida via UPS. You can find the UPS Transit time map here.
- Hands-On Labs is a production facility that does not offer a storefront or local pick up of orders.
- Shipping time applies to the date the item is shipped from our warehouse after processing.
- Orders placed with an incorrect shipping address may be subject to delays and additional charges.
- Shipping days do not include weekends or national holidays.
- Expedited Shipping, such as Next Day Air, 2nd Day Air, and 3-Day Select are available for an additional fee.
NOTE: Orders may take up to 3 business days to process. The selected shipping method applies to the date the item is shipped from our warehouse AFTER processing.
UPS Transit Times
- UPS transit time begins the weekday after shipping (weekends excluded.)
EXAMPLE: 2nd Day Air order that ships on Tuesday would arrive on Thursday.
- Orders placed with an incorrect shipping address may be subject to delays and additional charges for UPS correction.
- You will receive an email with tracking information after your order ships.
- You can find the UPS Transit time map here.
Sales Tax Terms
Hands-On Labs will include in its charges to the customer the applicable sales/use tax or similar excise tax for the location where the product is shipped based on the ship-to address provided by the customer to Hands-On Labs.
There is a $35 flat rate shipping fee for shipping to an APO/FPO/DPO address.
Orders shipped to countries outside of the USA may be subject to Customs regulations and requirements of the receiving country. Such requirements may include:
- Completion of Customs documentation
- Obtaining an import license
- Payment of import duty fees
It is the purchaser’s responsibility to contact the Customs Office of the destination country for their order and to ensure that all regulations and requirements are met prior to placing an order.
Hands-On Labs (HOL) will happily provide a copy of related Contents Lists and other required information prior to a purchaser’s placement of an order for international shipment. Please e- mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call customer service at 1-866-206-0773 for this information.
Additional charges for import duty may be charged by the destination country’s Customs office and must be paid to that office by the recipient. HOL has no control over these charges and cannot predict what they may be.
Customs policies vary widely from country to country. Due to frequent changes in various countries’ import regulations, HOL cannot warranty that its products fully meet the Customs laws of a destination country; it is the purchaser’s responsibility to do so in advance of placing an order. HOL only warrants that packaging complies with international shipping regulations, and that appropriate export documentation will accompany shipments sent abroad.
It is usually a fairly simple process to import, but appropriate procedures must be followed. When Customs clearance procedures are required, they must be completed prior to placing an international order to avoid loss to the purchaser. Failure to do so may cause delays in the receipt of an order and may even cause the shipment to be returned, confiscated, or destroyed by the receiving country’s Customs Department. The purchaser is responsible for all costs associated with the importation and for any loss, return shipping costs, and/or restocking fees associated with a failure to comply with the Customs Import regulations of the country to which the purchaser directs HOL to ship.
RETURNS & REFUNDS
CLICK HERE for a printable version of our Return & Refund Policy
General Warranty Policy
Products purchased from Hands-On Labs are warranted only against defective materials and missing items provided notice is given to HOL within 30 days of product delivery. No other warranties apply.
General Return Policy
Products may be returned to Hands-On Labs for refund only under the terms and conditions contained in this policy.
- Unopened products for which a Return Merchandise Authorization (RMA) has been properly obtained will be refunded per the process described below, less a 15% restocking fee. Only if they are returned within 30 days of delivery, and unused in their original, undamaged packaging.
- If the kit code has been used, but no work has been done within the first lesson you will be charged for the kit code - $50.00 for Standard and $63.50 for Premium.
- Products returned in damaged packaging will be treated as opened. Packages where the security strapping tape applied in our shipping facility has been removed are considered opened.
- Unopened products returned where the Return Merchandise Authorization (RMA) was not obtained will not be eligible to a refund.
Opened Unused Products
The price of opened but unused and fully intact products in original condition for which RMA numbers have been properly obtained, and which are returned within 30 days of delivery, will be refunded, less a 25% handling, inspection, and restocking fee.
If the kit code has been used, but no work has been done within the first lesson you will be charged for the kit code - $50.00 for Standard and $63.50 for Premium.
No refunds will be issued for any purchased product if:
- Kits that have been opened and used
- Returned 30 days or more beyond the product invoice date
- Returned without a Return Merchandise Authorization (RMA) number
- Returned without its original packaging and the original packaging of all contents
- Returned with any item missing or not in its original condition
- Individual product purchase of $55 or less
- Purchased from an unauthorized distributor/source
- Use of the kit code and the student has moved on into the 1st experiment. If the kit code has been used and we see work on the 1st lesson, this kit is not returnable.
Shipping fees are not refundable and return shipping costs are the responsibility of the purchaser. No COD returns will be accepted. Return shipping fees must be prepaid through UPS, FedEx or DHL for tracking purposes.
Return and Refund Request Procedures
Assuming all conditions reflected above will be met, the purchaser must contact Hands-On Labs at 866-206-0773 or email@example.com.
The product must be returned in its original packaging and shipped securely inside a protective box, wrapping, or container that prevents damage to the product’s contents and external packaging. No marks or labels should be applied to the product’s original packaging which is an integral part of the product.
Return Merchandise Authorization (RMA)
The purchaser’s full name and address must be clearly visible on the box. Shipping label must be addressed to HOL exactly as follows. Note that the RMA number must be included in the address:
Hands-On Labs, Inc.
Attn: Returns – RMA#_______________
86475 Gene Lasserre Blvd
Yulee, FL 32097
IMPORTANT: All lab kits returned to the Colorado location will NOT be credited
Assuming all conditions have been fully met, a refund for the product price, less restocking fees if applicable, will be credited to the original form of payment. Please allow 7-14 business days after a return’s receipt for inspection, return approval, and refund credit processing by Hands-On Labs. Additional time may be required by your bank or credit card company to process a refund credit.
This policy applies to all divisions and products of HOL.
BOOKSTORE ACCOUNT POLICIES
Are you a bookstore looking to connect? Just fill out the contact from at the bottom of this page.
- All orders placed with a Purchase Order (PO) must include a physical copy of the PO, including a Class Start Date. The PO can be emailed or faxed to Hands-On Labs. If there is incorrect information on the PO, or changes are made, a corrected copy will be required.
- Bookstores should obtain a webpage Login and Password to order kits for financial aid students. An order confirmation and tracking information will be sent via email. The student’s financial aid can then be charged for the entire price of the order including shipping.
- Our experiment kits contain chemicals and agars that have a limited shelf life. Be sure to rotate existing stock so that older kits are sold first. This will decrease the chance of having kits in stock that may be outside of the 45-day return policy.
- Standard processing on bulk orders is two weeks.
- Hands-On Labs’ shipping carrier is United Parcel Service (UPS), and our normal shipping method is prepaid UPS Ground. Deliveries can take 4-6 business days from the date of shipment.
Please contact our client support team with any questions about setting up an account or placing orders:
Phone: (866) 206-0773
Fax: (720) 420-4927
Hands-On Labs (HOL) products have been safely used by students since 1994. Each year, tens of thousands of students use our products to safely and effectively perform traditional science lab work in non-campus settings. Our 21-year, 100% safety record of supplying course-specific, single- use/single-student kits containing laboratory equipment and experiment supplies is unmatched in the industry.
Micro-Scale Chemistry Technology
All kits are designed on the principles of micro-scale chemistry technology which, in itself, is a material safety measure. Micro-scale techniques were specifically designed to provide a safe and environment-friendly method of performing scientific experiments. Instead of large beakers of chemicals, micro-scale techniques utilize small quantities of chemicals and scaled-down science equipment. But micro-scale does not compromise the quality of the learning experience or the integrity of the experimental result. Micro-scale techniques are extensively used on college campuses today, as well as in distance education. This is due to their proven success in science education, exceptional safety record, ease of use, and minimal environmental impact.
- Students are encouraged to contact or view their local Public Safety Department’s guidelines with regard to proper disposal.
- All kits are designed using micro-scale science principles, practices, and techniques. Micro- scale chemistry science was specifically developed to minimize potential safety and environmental hazards while still providing valid learning experiences to students. The chemicals used in a typical micro-scale experiment are in very low molar concentrations and in very small quantities, averaging in the 0.5 to 5.0 mL range. Thus, hazardous chemical exposure is close to non-existent, but students are still able to conduct traditional science experimentation. The small quantities and unique packaging of diluted chemical utilized in our kits, allow us to fully comply with 49 CFR 173.4 as well as IATA regulations and to legally and safely ship kits to science students all around the globe.
- Since student safety is paramount, experiments are intentionally designed to avoid extremely hazardous chemicals and chemicals in hazardous quantities or concentrations. The vast majority of chemistry experiments we offer are inorganic, as relatively few organic experiments are safe for students to perform outside of a formal laboratory.
- Experiments normally result in a neutralized solution and students are instructed on how to neutralize any leftover acid or base solutions before disposal. In light of these precautions plus the minute quantities and diluted chemicals used in kits, students are generally instructed to blot up remaining chemicals with paper toweling for solid waste disposal. Special instructions are given in the lab manual if alternative disposal methods are required.
- Due to the minute quantities, low concentrations, and diluted and/or neutralized chemicals used in our kits, the above described disposal methods are well within acceptable levels of disposal guidelines defined for the vast majority of local solid and wastewater regulations. However, since regulations can vary in some communities, students are advised to check with their area authorities to confirm that they are in compliance with local regulations and/or if they desire assistance with disposal.
Biological Specimens Handling and Disposal
Hands-On Labs (HOL) purchases its biological specimens from companies that have provided the highest quality specimens for more than 35 years. We believe that dissection is a powerful learning experience that instills knowledge, respect and provides positive benefits to our society. Experts agree that with dissection, students learn basic anatomy in a “hands-on” manner that cannot be duplicated. No HOL specimens are threatened or endangered species. All specimens are obtained following USDA and Fish and Wildlife regulations. Our suppliers utilize sound conservation and ecological practices. Many specimens are domestic or introduced species. All specimens are euthanized utilizing published guidelines established and advocated by the American Veterinary Association. Please read How to Handle Preserved Biological Specimens for complete details of safety specifications and procedures when using kits containing biological specimens.
Safety Data Sheets (SDS)
A Safety Data Sheet (SDS) is available for each chemical used in Hands-On Labs science kits.
SDS sheets are designed to provide chemical, physical, health, and safety information on reagents and supplies. An important skill in the safe use of chemicals is being able to read a Safety Data Sheet (SDS), which provides information about how to handle store, transport, use and disposal of chemicals in a safe manner.
SDS sheets also provide workers and emergency personnel with the proper procedures for handling and working with chemical substances. While there is no standard format for an SDS, they all provide basic information about physical data (melting point, boiling point, flash point, etc.), toxicity, health effects, first aid procedures, chemical reactivity, safe storage, safe disposal, protective equipment required, and spill clean-up procedures. An SDS is required to be readily available at any business where any type of chemical is used. It is important to know how to read and understand the SDS. They normally include the following information:
- Product Identification (Chemical Name and Trade Names)
- Hazardous Ingredients (Components and Percentages)
- Physical Data (Boiling point, density, solubility in water, appearance, color, etc.)
- Fire and Explosion Data (Flash point, extinguisher media, special firefighting procedures, and unusual fire and explosion hazards)
- Health Hazard Data (Exposure limits, effects of overexposure, emergency and first aid procedure)
- Reactivity Data (Stability, condition to avoid, incompatible materials, etc.)
- Spill or Leak Procedures (Steps to take to control and clean up spills and leaks and waste disposal methods)
- Control Measures (Respiratory protection, ventilation, protection for eyes or skin, or other protective equipment)
- Special Precautions (How to handle and store, steps to take in a spill, disposal method, and other precautions)
- The SDS is a tool that is available for making decisions about chemicals
We are continually working to ensure our kits are safe for all students, and all of our protective equipment (gloves, masks, etc.) are latex-free. However, some other materials do contain latex. As a precaution for your health and safety, please review the following information and consult your physician with any questions or concerns.
- Items/specimens that may contain latex: balloons, rubber stopper, reflex hammer, eye dropper, cat, fetal pig
- Items that are latex-free: gloves, apron, rubber bands, masks
If you are allergic to latex, we recommend the following:
- Consult your physician
- Inform your instructor of your allergy
- Wear all personal protection equipment when handling latex products
- Consult your Specimen Care Guide if your kit includes a dissection specimen